We seek to fulfil our calling by:
- uniting in praise, helping all to offer their worship to God.
- joining together in fellowship and encouraging all to grow as disciples of Jesus Christ.
- encouraging the use and development of the gifts of the whole people of God.
- seeking to care for the needs of one another and developing links with, and service to the local community.
- building strong links with the Anglican community in the village, through worship, fellowship, service and mission.
- supporting mission at the local level and throughout the world.
- supporting , praying for and engaging in the life of the Methodist Circuit, District and Connexion.
Our aims are:
- to continue our work with the Village Primary School, particularly Open the Book and the Experience Journeys.
- to help continue to support the Minifish, Open The Book, Junior Church, Coffee Morning, and Bible Fellowship Groups and encourage new members.
- to continue close relationships with St. Mary’s and wherever we can to unite in worship, service and mission.
- to make available the premises for community use.
Although we are small in number, this is a vibrant church with strong ecumenical links with St Mary’s Parish Church. Every month there are three joint services and the Junior Church has been United for over 40 years. All major festivals are celebrated jointly and both buildings are used, enabling us to offer different facilities for different styles of worship or community venture, whilst offering the best experience for those attending. The worship space is flexible and the building has a 1st floor which is set up to offer Godly Play, and is also suitable for small groups or meetings, with a fully fitted kitchen; access is via a stairlift. Both spaces are available for hire by members of the local community. The village has a good community spirit, which the Methodist Church is keen to be involved in whenever possible.
SUNDAY SERVICE PATTERN:
The pattern of worship may be adjusted for major festivals. Visit http://www.wymeswold.com/churches/
Notices are displayed on Church Notice boards at the Methodist Church and St Mary’s each month with the pattern in operation for the month.
Services at the Methodist Church start at 11.00 am. Those in the Methodist Church are preceded by coffee at 10.30; at St. Mary’s, this follows the service.
1st Sunday Service of Holy Communion at St Mary’s (11.15am)
2nd Sunday United Service of Holy Communion with the congregation of St Mary’s at the Methodist Church at 11am. (Junior Church meet usually once a month on either 2nd or 4th Sunday at the Methodist Church) Visit http://www.wymeswold.com/churches/
3rd Sunday United All Age Worship at Mary’s
4th Sunday Methodist Preaching Service at 11am
Junior Church meet usually once a month on either 2nd or 4th Sunday. The monthly notice of services outside both Churches indicates which week they will meet. Visit http://www.wymeswold.com/churches/
5th Sunday United Service. Varied style and location – according to the notices displayed outside both churches.
A United Service Mid-week Service on Wednesday 9.45am
1st Wednesday a Service of Midweek Communion at Methodist Church, all other Wednesdays at St Mary’s which are either services of Holy Communion or Morning Prayer.
GROUPS & ORGANISATIONS & WHEN THEY MEET :
Bible Fellowship/Study An ecumenical group which meets every Monday evening at 7.45pm in the Methodist Church – Contact Sue Fossey 01509 881469
Minifish Meets fortnightly at the Methodist Church on Thursdays 1.30pm-3pm during term, and is an informal worship time with Bible stories and play for pre-school children and their carers. Contact: Sue Fossey 01509 881469
Junior Church – Meets monthly as indicated on the service pattern information.
Junior Church provides Christian teaching suitable to their ages for children aged from three upwards, whatever church (if any) their parents attend.
The meetings take place in the Upper Room of the Methodist Church on the corner of Brook Street and the Stockwell from 11am to Noon once Sunday every month. The exact week can vary, so is shown on the service notices outside the Churches. The Junior Church Members attend the beginning of the Methodist service together before they upstairs for their time of learning together.
Children are often take-home material so families know what is being discussed and can share in their children’s learning. Any questions, please contact Sandi Cowell on 01509 881365 or visit www.wymeswold.com/churches for the service pattern showing which week the group will meet during the month.
For more information about any of these groups speak to:
Senior Steward: Margaret Folwell – Tel 01509 880770